[Dixielandjazz] Mel Brooks - "Blazing Saddles is Dixieland Jazz"

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 7 16:01:57 PDT 2006

>From an interview with Actor/Writer/Comedian/Amateur Musician - Mel Brooks.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"I look at it now, I say, 'My God, this is a crazy picture,' " he says of
Blazing Saddles. "But when it came forth, we were just doing our things. We
were like a small jazz group. I was Benny Goodman, and (co-writer) Richard
Pryor was Lionel Hampton. We were like wild musicians on a tear, just
playing some free-form Dixieland. Blazing Saddles is Dixieland jazz, where
everybody gets up, has a riot or a solo and there's a fierce harmonic blend
of joy and freedom."