[Dixielandjazz] A guest singer, a funny story

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Aug 6 21:38:01 PDT 2006

	Playing a set at the Sacramento Jubilee many years ago, our band liked
to include members of the audience with the offer, "Does anyone want to
sing with the band?" and one fellow took us up on the offer,
exclaiming, "Sure, I'll sing Danny Boy".  As he came forward we noticed
that he was essentially inebriated, but thought, "Oh well, it he can
sing the song, so be it, and a 'tipsy' version of Danny Boy could be
quite entertaining.
	After he hummed a few bars to establish the key, the band gave him a
grandiose few bars of intro whereas he quite loudly and proudly slurred
out the words,  "Oh Danny Boy,"  then came to an abrupt halt.
Thinking perhaps this was due to his condition and that he didn't fully
realize the task at hand I said to him, "O.K. here's the introduction
again, and really belt it out this time".  This time he sang loud
enough to reach the far corners of the room, but once again stopped
after singing "Oh Danny Boy", spreading those three words over about 5
bars of music and then, perhaps running out of air, he just sort of
faded away to nothing.
	Following a third and final attempt with the same results, I said to
him, I thought you knew "Oh Danny Boy" and he responded, "I do, but
those are the only words I know" ! ! ! ! (which brought down the
house).