[Dixielandjazz] Re: Strange gigs

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 21:31:57 PDT 2006

   Oooops! Forgot one other remarkably strange
one: I was a rock band called Jack Ruby and the
Romantics. This was about 1978. We were riding a
wave of compliments from everyone who'd heard us,
thought we were on the way to the Big Time. And
since we all worked for the Oakland Tribune and
were members of the San Francisco Oakland
Newspaper Guild, we agreed to do a benefit dance
for the Vallejo Times Herald Guild members who
were in the midst of a long and ultimately
disastrous strike.
   We sold about 500 tickets and were expecting
our biggest crowd and most fun yet, but when we
got to the union hall in Vallejo where we were to
play, we learned the sad truth: People were more
than willing to buy 500 tickets to help the
strikers, but that didn't mean they were going to
attend. We played three sets to a basically empty
hall (maybe 20 people besides the refreshments
servers showed up). Very odd indeed and quite a
letdown.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA