[Dixielandjazz] Wedding Gig

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Sun Aug 6 12:49:44 PDT 2006

Dear Listers:

I thought I would share a wedding band story with you.  It's a little out of the ordinary, but is a very happy one.

In May, I proposed to my sweetheart, Martha Lockard.  We decided to get married during the summer when she was on vacation from her new job as an after-school program coordinator for 3rd through 5th graders in Taylor, TX.  We set the date for July 15 at the home of Martha's sister Sarah Burka in Austin.  So far, so good.

Our wedding-on-the-fly put us in competition with many, many other weddings, many of which had been in planning for a year.  Getting a reception hall proved to be a challenge, but Tommy Griffith is a member of the Austin Club, a classy city club in downtown Austin.  He inquired, and the Austin Club had an afternoon slot available on July 15.  Martha and I got our plans set with the Austin Club, which proved pretty easy because we wanted a big party without a lot of emphasis on details.  It didn't take long to decide on things.

For the wedding, I lined up a dixieland quartet with Larmon Maddox on cornet, my brother Ed Stoddard on trombone, Tommy Griffith on banjo and myself on tuba.  Martha wanted me to walk her to the front of the gathering in the dining room, so on the processional I played the first chorus, then laid down my horn and walked Martha to the front as Ed sang "If I Had You."  Martha and I have always liked the lyrics.  After that, the wedding went off without a hitch.

After cake and champagne, the wedding guests adjourned for the Austin Club.  Larmon and Tommy left a little early, and by the time Martha and I arrived, a lively party was in full swing with about 145 people and a larger dixieland band.  Tommy played piano with the reception band.  I hired five people, but the afternoon turned into a revolving jam session featuring many of the best players in Austin.  Ed and I both played some trombone, and we had two guest vocalists.

The Austin Club did a great job with food, drinks and ambience, and the band was wonderful.   Martha and I have since received many comments as to what a fine party the reception was.   I have also gotten some comments about playing at my own wedding and reception, but I enjoy playing and this was fun.  Playing at the reception was especially nice because many of my Dresser Wayne coworkers have never heard me play much or at all, and it was a chance to play for them with a really good band.  In addition, it was a good showcase for dixieland as wedding reception music.

It was a memorable afternoon, one which I look back on with great fondness.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX