[Dixielandjazz] Gig thread...this is fun!

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Sun Aug 6 14:04:02 PDT 2006

I enjoy hearing  about these fun and memorable gigs. When I joined the DJML I
looked forward  to learning from other musicians and the learned fans of
OKOM.
The memories of playing music and the honor of learning from others is  what
makes playing music so much fun.

Here's another one that comes to mind. In Chinatown (San Francisco) the
funerals often have a funeral band (similar to the N.O. tradition) accompanying
the funeral procession.

On one occasion we were marching along Jackson St, playing Nearer My God to
Thee, when a massive wind storm suddenly blew into the band. The sousaphone
player was knocked to the ground as well as the bass drummer. Trumpets  and
saxophones were flying and rebounding on the pavement. A mini-cyclone  had
decided to attack the band. We all had to struggle to keep our  footing.

We finished the job somewhat winded (pun intended) and headed to Spivey's,
the watering hole on Broadway. After a few boiler-makers, all was  forgotten.