[Dixielandjazz] Unusual Gigs

Mike Marois Mike.Marois at HireLIVEMusic.com
Sat Aug 5 15:29:09 PDT 2006

Hey All;

One of my favorite unusual gigs that I had the pleasure of doing was a New
Years' Eve Duo (Banjo and Tuba) playing country western standards as a warm
up act for Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers at the old Fabulous Forum in L.A.
This was the best paying NYE gig that I ever had and I was out of there by
8pm.  In fact I was in such a rush to get out of there, I almost knock Kenny
down rushing from our dressing room.

The topper has to be, dawning a tux, driving out to Pomona, and performing
one chorus of "As Time Goes By", on the tuba, for a manager at a radio
station.  The story behind this setup was it was the station manager's
anniversary and his wife bought him a singing telegram or in this case a
tubagram.  Several years before the guy was a member of the L.A.
philharmonic and at one particular rehearsal the ensemble kept rehearsing
the first 96 bars of a piece for several hours.  Tommy Johnson, who was the
tubist at the time, had nothing to do but count rests.  So as the group
broke for lunch he broke into a chorus of, you guessed it...... "As Time
Goes By".

Mike
Tuba/Computer Guru