[Dixielandjazz] Unusual Gigs

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Wed Aug 2 11:01:03 PDT 2006

I have mentioned this story before, but several years ago, we were
hired for a Labor Day picnic at a country club.  The band was to board
a boat and we were then pulled to the middle of a small pond where we
played dixie for several hours.  To the bow and the stern of the boat
were attached ropes that were tied off at the shore line to prevent the
boat from drifting.  In addition, there were no paddles in the boat,
and were, pretty much, at the mercy of the folks on shore.  The weather
was about 100 degrees, no shade, BUT,  the country club bar had been
very considerate and had provisioned the boat with some 2 1/2 cases of
iced down beer, no sodas or water.  Every thing went well until about
an hour and a half into the gig, when we were all struck by the "call
of nature."  Here we were in the middle of this pond, yelling, "Pull
the rope!" Pull the ROPE!" ala a Mel Brooks movie.   When we finally
got someone's attention, we were pulled to the shore.  When we returned
to the boat after our rest stop we found that good folks at the country
club bar had generously replenished the bar and off we went into the
lake.  Needless to say, we all took back roads home.  We played the
same gig the following year and the management of the club had the
foresight (or is it hindsight?) not to place us in a boat.  They also
restricted the amount of alcohol served.  But, all in all it was a
good, but a most unusual gig!
later,

Randy Fendrick,
Southside Chicago Seven