[Dixielandjazz] trumpeter Greg Bonham

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Apr 30 01:59:14 PDT 2006

I recently ran into a singer/trumpeter by the name of Greg Bonham.  He was
performing as the guest artist in the theater of the Adventure of the Seas
cruise ship in the Caribbean (seats about 1,500 people!).  He was billed as
"straight from Las Vegas", which can mean many things in the advertising
world.

Anyway, he is an excellent singer, amazing entertainer, and a trumpeter
(surprise, surprise!).  I say surprise, as after about 20 minutes of singing
(great arrangements well played by the ship's 10 piece show band!), he
reached behind him & pulled out a trumpet.  Then, he immediately went, and
stayed, up in the stratosphere of Maynard Ferguson!  No kidding.  On a cold
horn.  I practically fell out of my chair.

Alright, it was his show, and I suppose he's done it the same over & over,
but he still played, and on a cold horn.  What a big, strong sound.  Did an
excellent arrangement of Spinning Wheel, with the two house band trumpeters.

Originally from Australia, but apparently now lives in the U.S.

I googled him and came up with his website at www.gregbonhamweb.com
It says "Greg remains the same humble and sincere person he has always been
and it is evident that he enjoys every minute of performing", which is what
stood out more than anything else during his great performance.

Go to his video section of his site.  If you have a slow connection, watch
both parts of McCarthur Park to get a taste of the voice & the horn.  If you
have a fast connection, look at the full length "best quality" video.  A
good example of a straightforward site.

Jim