[Dixielandjazz] Sometimes you just don't take a gig - (was Pizza's How much dough)

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 30 06:41:57 PDT 2006

Hi, all...
Yes, I once turned down a job - doesn't happen often fortunately - because
I just KNEW I would fail...
An agent called me and told me about a "tuxedo" (read classy) piano gig in
Indiana with a grand piano.  Said it was a beautiful room and they wanted
something really first  rate.
When they had the room finished (they were in the process of making a brand
new room) they found out there was no room for a grand piano.  Too many
pillars in the room.
They actually wanted me to show up in a tuxedo and play a keyboard.  I told
the agent that no one would take a piano player seriously, all dressed up
and sitting in front of a keyboard!  (I was also sure they hadn't even
THOUGHT about lighting!)  So I would be sitting there in front of a cheezy
looking electronic keyboard, singing my heart out, in the dark...  Talk
about going unnoticed (read wallpaper)....  I told the lady (quite
politely) I didn't take jobs that I knew had no future or would make me
look silly...  she agreed...  If you know ahead of time that a gig just
isn't going to work - don't take it - it probably won't last long anyway.

All the VERY best,
Steve Heist
Pointe-des-Cascades, Quebec, Canada
(450) 424-7268

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!