[Dixielandjazz] Karl Kress

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Apr 16 09:57:42 PDT 2006

Hal Vickery wrote:

>Speaking of Carl Kress:
>
>I heard a pretty good radio program while driving the other night that
>featured a duet by him and Dick McDonough.  It was on a program that may be
>of interest to those living within nighttime AM listening distance of
>Toronto.
>
>A radio station up there, CHWO (740 kHz, AM) has a big-band/swing program
>every Tuesday evening.  I'm not sure what time it starts or ends because I
>only catch it when I happen to be in the car.  This week they played the
>first anniversary show of the CBS "Saturday Night Swing Club" from 1937.  In
>addition to the guitar duet, the part of the show I heard also featured the
>Goodman trio and quartet, the Raymond Scott Quintet, and a "jam session"
>featuring a number of the musicians appearing on the program (including one
>Wilbur Schwichtenberg on t-bone before he changed his name to Will Bradley).
>
>In the past I've heard everything from Bix with the Goldkette band to
>Fletcher Henderson to Jack Teagarden to Glenn Miller, a pretty wide variety.
>If you're in the northeast or northern Midwest (at least as far away from
>Toronto as Rockford, IL, you might be able to pick it up.
>
>Let me also plug a local Chicago show you can get through streaming on your
>computer:  pianist Bruce Oscar has a Saturday morning show called the
>"Saturday Swing Shift" from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (CDT) that you can catch
>live online at www.wdcb.org .  No Dixieland but a lot of pretty decent
>swing, along with other music from the era.
>
>Hal Vickery

Carl is on several sides of Red Ingle and the Natural Seven 78's cut in
NY in 1949. I was at the session and was pleased to meet
this fine player.  His duets with McDonough were marvelous. Played the
full chord type solos also favored by Van Epps and almost a lost art
samong most players today. who single finger fine  buy never neem to
master the full set as well as Kress et al.
Don Ingle