[Dixielandjazz] Karl Kress

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Apr 15 05:30:28 PDT 2006

Speaking of Carl Kress:

I heard a pretty good radio program while driving the other night that
featured a duet by him and Dick McDonough.  It was on a program that may be
of interest to those living within nighttime AM listening distance of
Toronto.

A radio station up there, CHWO (740 kHz, AM) has a big-band/swing program
every Tuesday evening.  I'm not sure what time it starts or ends because I
only catch it when I happen to be in the car.  This week they played the
first anniversary show of the CBS "Saturday Night Swing Club" from 1937.  In
addition to the guitar duet, the part of the show I heard also featured the
Goodman trio and quartet, the Raymond Scott Quintet, and a "jam session"
featuring a number of the musicians appearing on the program (including one
Wilbur Schwichtenberg on t-bone before he changed his name to Will Bradley).

In the past I've heard everything from Bix with the Goldkette band to
Fletcher Henderson to Jack Teagarden to Glenn Miller, a pretty wide variety.
If you're in the northeast or northern Midwest (at least as far away from
Toronto as Rockford, IL, you might be able to pick it up.

Let me also plug a local Chicago show you can get through streaming on your
computer:  pianist Bruce Oscar has a Saturday morning show called the
"Saturday Swing Shift" from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (CDT) that you can catch
live online at www.wdcb.org .  No Dixieland but a lot of pretty decent
swing, along with other music from the era.

Hal Vickery