[Dixielandjazz] Printing CD's

Michael Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Wed Apr 12 11:32:38 PDT 2006

Listmates,

I have followed the thread on printing CD's with interest, because I have
had many of the same issues with my bands.

Disk Makers is a good organization to go with it you need volume, artwork
assistance and other supplies relative to CD production. I have purchased
goods from them in the past and have been well satisfied with their quality
and service.

However, I don't sell a huge volume of CD's, but mainly use them as promo or
giveaway items. So, it's more economical to produce them myself.

I use common software on my computer to make copies on printable music CD
blanks. Then, I print the label info directly on the CD's using an Epson
Stylus Photo R200 color printer which has a CD adapter. The software with
the printer lets you create the art for the CD. It's pretty intuitive, if
you have any experience at all with computers. The printer was about $100. I
never made a count, but you can print a lot of CD's with a set of cartridges
(probably 50 or more). I also use the printer to make label inserts for the
CD jewel case. I create the art for the insert myself, print them on photo
paper, and cut them out with scissors. Not counting labor, I can make a CD
for about $1.00. I usually do this when my favorite OKOM show is on the
radio and make CD's while I listen.

I tried the label approach for the artwork prior to purchasing the printer
(Memorex is one manufacturer) and they work O.K. and are easy to install
with the gadget they supply for applying the labels. However, I also have
heard horror stories about labels coming off in a system and the damage that
can be done. I personally had that happen with a cassette years ago in my
car stereo and it was expensive to fix. As a result, I never played
cassettes with labels again in my auto.

I purchase my printable CD's at Office Max or Comp USA (a PC store or
geeks).

If anyone wants the blank CD insert template ready for artwork, let me know
and I will send over a copy as an ms word.doc.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz