[Dixielandjazz] Don Goldie

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 10:19:33 PDT 2006

From: "Steve & Cathy Pendleton" <bestofbreed at mindspring.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Don Goldie
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Don Goldie's name came up on the list recently.   I became
acquainted with his playing on "The Complete Roulette" boxed set of
Jack Teagarden's 1959-60's group.  I listen to those CD's every few
months.  I especially admire his taking big risks with very
difficult passages.  He does not always pull them off perfectly, but
his performance has (had) to endear him to any audience that heard
him and appreciated his sheer guts.
Is he still with us?  On what other recordings does he play?  I am a
(kinda) trombone player but a huge fan of his cornet.
Steve Pendleton

Don is not with us anymore.  He led a somewhat tragic life and had many health problems towards the end.  He ended up commiting suicide in his apartment after a time spent in the hospital.  He was a very good friend and sort of my "adopted" uncle.  We talked frequently on the phone and played together quite a few times.  I talked to him not long before he was released from the hospital the last time, and he was fairly depressed about his condition.
He was one of my favorite players.  His technique and sound were marvelous, and as you say, he was very adventurous in his improvisations.  He was actually more of a trumpet player, than cornet.
His photo is on the wall of my office, right where I can see it every day!
Mike Vax