[Dixielandjazz] Playing on the trains and/or streets

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 9 13:52:59 PDT 2006

No question about it. A street wise, or train wise musician can make
$100,000 a year.

But then, so can a street wise, or train wise pan handler. In fact, more
that a few beggars do just that. I was in the Army with a professional pan
handler in the early 1950s. He claimed to be making $40,000 back then.

And I talked with a Philadelphia street musician 2 years ago. Philly in
Summer, Miami in winter. Said he cleared $75,000 net.

BUT . . . these guys are professionals at what they do. The average beggar
or musician on the streets or in trains is not. It's a different mind set,
which is perhaps why some of us give the music away and some make money.

Cheers,
Steve