[Dixielandjazz] Playing on the trains and/or streets

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 18:42:13 PDT 2006

Hi All;

Yes Steve is correct, I was going to respond further to this last night
but it got late and I had to go before I got back to his earlier post.
By the way all of my posts are not coming in in a timely manner from
the DJML for some reason, I often get replies to other posts in my in
box before I ever see the original post. :))

The real successful Street performers and bands who play there are
usually very good Entertainers and musicians who have the ability to
read an audience well and play appropriate tunes that will turn them on
and make them stop in their tracks and listen to a GOOD I repeat a GOOD
tight HOt Band no matter what kind of music they are playing.   If they
Swing they will get a  receptive crowd, if they do not swing they will
get no crowd and no respect or even the courtesy of an audience
stopping to listen to them much less buy and CDs.

If at first you don't succeed try it again,  better yet go out and
watch carefully how successful bands and players do it, if your band
sounds like a bunch of old guys playing dated old charts your not gong
to get much response.  Get out there kick some musical butt, smile and
act like you are having more fun than having sex, you will get the
crowd and maybe some sex too. :))

Be sure to ask you wife if you can have it first however :))

And no I am certainly not suggesting that everyone go out and Play free
gigs,  just tried to point out that you need to go market your band and
make gigs happen, sometimes some excellent gigs can be manufactured off
of a Free one,  I rarely do one that does not have great Television
coverage which would cost me more than my performance fees just  for
the TV time if indeed I could by it for promotion.  Feature articles in
Newspapers are also a good reason to manufacture a situation, just be
savvy enough to get your message out to the public via these mediums
and turn the gig into a money making situation for the future by
booking good gigs at double or triple your regular fee to make up for
the free one.  It really is not that hard to do if you get out of the
Union Scale fee quote and do not be afraid to ask for REAL money.
Nobody knows what union scale is anyway except for the Union and the
guys who think that is all they are worth for a gig.

That is like saying that a Rolls Royce should be sold for the same as a
Volkswagen Bug.   A really good marketer can sell a Volkswagen BUG for
the costs of a ROLLS ROYCE,  ESPECIALLY IF HE PUTS ONE OF THOSE COOL
LITTLE ROLLS ROYCE GRILLS ON THE BUG.   Now guys go negotiate your gigs
like you used to negotiate for sexual favors form young women, you win
some and you lose some, but usually nobody slaps you anymore. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins