[Dixielandjazz] playing on the streets

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Apr 8 15:14:16 PDT 2006

It wasn't me but playing for little or nothing is usually a poor idea for
musicians.  However, after having said that, sometimes it might make good
business sense.  A couple of reasons why you might consider low paid
gigs --- to tighten up a group or break in new players.  To bring
prospective clients to hear you.  As a paid rehearsal.

Let me point out that these should be your ideas and not what someone else
wants you to do.  All of us have heard the pitch "you will get great
exposure" as a reason why you should play for someone for free.  You should
decide if the effort is in your best interest and is in line with your
business plan and direction.  It might just be a cool place to take photos
of the band in action or it could be a trade with a church or organization
to use their facilities as a rehearsal hall.  But whatever the reason it
should fit a business plan to justify the expenditure of time and effort.

Larry Walton
St. Louis