[Dixielandjazz] Reel to Reel Tape Squeal

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sat Apr 8 15:06:10 PDT 2006

Jim -- Thanks for your response.   I first ran into the tape squeal problem
in about 1985.   I had been  using Radio Shack's black Concertape reels,
acetate reels and Ampex computer Mylar tape for about ten years.   To my
consternation, some of the tapes started sticking and squealing.   I
belonged to the Indiana Recording Club, which published a semi-monthly rag
called the Tape Squeal which periodically carried articles and letters about
the squealing problem and various antedotes.

I tried the cooking routine on some of mine.   I used our kitchen electric
oven, a professional boxed oven temperature gauge with a wired thermocouple.
The oven held the temperature reliably between 125 and 130F.    I followed
the cooking and cooling and testing procedure and it was successful.    I
was told it would not be permanent because the degradation of the tape is
due to plasticizer migration from the Mylar polyester plastic into the oxide
coating.    So I did quickly copy some of the cooked tapes.   I noticed,
however, that the Mylar had suffered stretching problems, which produced
Wow in the copies.

I didn't mention that in the previous email.   I call the whole thing
Ridiculous mainly because in my estimation, using tons of household
electricity to preserve an old collection of mostly
now-available-music-on-a-much-superior-medium is pointless because it's
unreliable and electricity is costly.    So is gas.

Applying denatured alcohol to the moving tape with a cotton ball or Q-tips
actually works and doesn't stretch the Mylar but you have to be young enough
to live the number of years required if you have, say, over 300 reels.
Which I did.    I gave 150 reels (condition unknown) and a log book and a
good tape deck to our Jazz Society.   And threw away another 150 reels (also
condition unknown).    The only material I was able to preserve is years of
family voices and bands I played with clear back to high school --
transferred to cassettes first and now to CD's.   All of that transferring
was done from reels that did not squeal.

Bob