[Dixielandjazz] playing on the streets

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 00:23:48 PDT 2006

Indeed Larry:

It should always be a legitimate justification for an advantage of some
kind for the Band, that being said, just taking a low paying or no
paying gig is not justified usually because it will only lead to other
low paid gigs from the association with a low p-aid crowd who will pass
on the payment level to the band to all who ask and when you try to get
more from one of the people who attended they will indeed talk to the
host/hostess who will blab the real price they paid you and you will
either get an offer for the same thing or no gig at all.   These kind
of situations must be negotiated and handled very carefully or they can
backfire on you quickly.   The same scenario goes for playing Benefit
concerts and events,  do not get pegged into that circuit as just a
band that will play for Free for any and all Benefits.   They will
indeed pass your name around and if you do one for Free they will all
want you to play for free.   All have to be negotiated very carefully.

I investigated a few Katrina Benefit shows that had been offered to my
band for no money yet lots of money was being raised and the venues
were not even giving a contribution or discount to the well meaning
organizers,  I passed on them and yet had a couple of my sidemen tell
me that they were playing them for another Band leader for free after
they played a well paid gig for me that same day.   Go figure.   One of
them even told me he was dong two free gigs that day for the same
bandleader, both of them had been turned down by me because they were
not suitable professional Benefits to really aid the Katrina victims,
both were to go to the general funding coffers of the Red Cross with
what ever was left after the restaurant and bar took their profits out
of the event.  The only folks not getting paid were the musicians.  No
Television coverage, no radio, no newspaper write up, or publicity for
the band at all.  Just Free music for the party goers and restaurant
who certainly could have afforded to pay the band from what they made.
  Too many musicians simply fall for the old It's Benefit and we are a
non profit organization game.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins