[Dixielandjazz] European Band not playing in America /AmericanBands not playing in America

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Apr 8 10:44:21 PDT 2006

Tom: I totally hear what you are saying

The biggest problem that I have is that everyone wants a hundred dollar bill
to do anything which instantly puts the band into the $700-$800 category
other than that they almost won't come out of the woodwork and are not
willing to do the work before the fact such as make those CD's.

I don't know how much time others take to cut a CD and I'm sure that the
time varies widely but I would want at least three takes on a tune which
could take at least a half hour so that would be about six hours minimum to
make a CD of 12 tunes unless the guys were good enough to get it in one
take.  This is possible if the band is working all the time together but
most groups here just don't. I don't think the Indians from S.A. even think
about this, they just do it as part of being musicians in business.  Their
rehearsals are on the street corner.  I think (I don't know) that they have
a different perspective to professional music than we do.

I have seen and enjoyed those various groups and almost always buy a CD from
them.  There is one guy roaming the crowd selling CD's while the group
performs.  Everyone wants the guaranteed money.  Over the years I have
called guys many times and the first thing that comes out of their mouths is
how much does it pay?  I have called piano players who flat out want $200 a
gig.  (the very reason why I often use a computer for the rhythm section)

By the way I don't think they are paying ASCAP or anyone else for those
tracks and they don't seem to mind being hassled by the police who mostly
ignore them.  They set up in a public place, play for an hour or two, sell a
bunch of CD's and split or they hook up with the local fairs, pay a fee and
have at it.

As an aside, I have run into "my wife doesn't want me to play" (name the
night) with three drummers straight!  This is a whole new thread.

Since I have been playing OKOM gigs the first thing they want to know is who
is on the gig followed very quickly by how much does it pay.  Both questions
have to be answered right or no dice.  Some of these guys are very picky and
some guys hate each other and others will only play if certain others are on
the job.  How the hell can you book that way?

I think that the only reason we don't have any street entertainment here is
because the city's in their wisdom years ago passed laws against it.  This
got the Gypsy's and blind beggars  with their accordions and white cups off
the street but it also kept other groups from performing too.  I only know
of one city (University City) in St. Louis County that allows it. I really
don't know what their criteria is but I'm sure there are permits etc.  They
pride themselves on having a diversified artsy community but the rest of the
cities (@150) don't allow it unless you are hired by a business, mall or get
a merchant's license and other permits which is very difficult.  We
typically don't allow any street vendors of any kind in St. Louis city and
county.  So CD sales and things like that are verboten.

All things conspire against the musician and I am most sorry to say is self
generated by the musicians themselves.

So, sadly, it is difficult in St. Louis to take it to the people.
Larry
St. Louis