[Dixielandjazz] European Band not playing in America /AmericanBands not playing in America

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 12:19:11 PDT 2006

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis <larrys.bands at charter.net>
 To: tcashwigg at aol.com; dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
 Sent: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:44:21 -0500
  Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] European Band not playing in America
/AmericanBands not playing in America

 Tom: I totally hear what you are saying

  The biggest problem that I have is that everyone wants a hundred
dollar bill to do anything which instantly puts the band into the
$700-$800 category other than that they almost won't come out of the
woodwork and are not willing to do the work before the fact such as
make those CD's.

  ** Same thing exists almost every where Larry: I have the same
situation, Trick is you have to play on or at events with large crowds,
so you pick and choose the events, carefully, and then go ahead and Pay
those guys their $100.00 but when they see you take in $3,000.00 or
better from CD sales and ask for a cut simply hand them a bill for
their portion of the production and manufacturing costs, and the
advertising and promotion of the band and the CD products. They have
already established their worth and demand it which is fine $100.00
that's what the gig pays take it or leave it, NEXT?? We are in the
Music business, not the Ego business. I called a guy once for a gig and
he told me he didn't think I could afford to pay him what he was worth,
I told him he was right and nobody could afford to pay him what he was
worth, but I had a $100.00 Bill for him if he wanted the gig. :)) He
took it and stayed with the band for about ten years, why because he
was too lazy to go do all the work to run his own band and I was right
NOBODY could afford to pay him or would pay him what he thought he was
worth.

  I don't know how much time others take to cut a CD and I'm sure that
the time varies widely but I would want at least three takes on a tune
which could take at least a half hour so that would be about six hours
minimum to make a CD of 12 tunes unless the guys were good enough to
get it in one take. This is possible if the band is working all the
time together but most groups here just don't. I don't think the
Indians from S.A. even think about this, they just do it as part of
being musicians in business. Their rehearsals are on the street corner.
I think (I don't know) that they have a different perspective to
professional music than we do.

  *** The Indians do what we all dream about doing, Eat Sleep and Play
Music, it is their DAY GIG. It is also their JOB so they treat it like
one and make a very good living at doing it with no Boss, no union
telling them how and where and what to do.

  I have seen and enjoyed those various groups and almost always buy a
CD from them. There is one guy roaming the crowd selling CD's while the
group performs. Everyone wants the guaranteed money. Over the years I
have called guys many times and the first thing that comes out of their
mouths is how much does it pay? I have called piano players who flat
out want $200 a gig. (the very reason why I often use a computer for
the rhythm section)

  *** Many musicians particularly sidemen have no idea or concept of
what is involved in being a band leader and running it like a business
so that is can grow and remain in business to employ them and pay them.
Most do not want to commit to anything long term, because they are
probably afraid of success, and or simply not willing to treat it as
WORK but more as a FUN thing to do with more emphasis on the FUN as in
Booze, Women, and getting away from the Missus and the kids.

  By the way I don't think they are paying ASCAP or anyone else for
those tracks and they don't seem to mind being hassled by the police
who mostly ignore them. They set up in a public place, play for an hour
or two, sell a bunch of CD's and split or they hook up with the local
fairs, pay a fee and have at it.

  *** They are all playing their own compositions and Traditional Andes
Folk music, so they have no need for ASCAP or anyone else, and since
they are collecting retail prices they are paying themselves all the
royalties that are collected. In other words they are beating the HELL
out of the SYSTEM.

  As an aside, I have run into "my wife doesn't want me to play" (name
the night) with three drummers straight! This is a whole new thread.

  *** Well I never had my wife EVER say that to me, Perhaps they have
wives who will pay them to stay home and have Sex :))
 rather than let them go play music and make money.

  Since I have been playing OKOM gigs the first thing they want to know
is who is on the gig followed very quickly by how much does it pay.
Both questions have to be answered right or no dice. Some of these guys
are very picky and some guys hate each other and others will only play
if certain others are on the job. How the hell can you book that way?

  *** I run into the same situation weekly, and when a guys tells me he
won't play if that guy is on the gig, guess who doesn't get called for
another gig, and I don't care who the Hell he is, he does not run this
Band I do and he works for the Band, if he does not like it he can go
 from his own band and book his own gigs and put up with all the guys
like him. I have a product to sell and a sound to deliver with or
without them in the lineup. There are a lot more unemployed musicians
than there are employed ones, but some guys just don't understand that.
And will not put ANYTHING into making a band worth booking. They have
never learned that just being a musician with some talent is not really
very important at all, to most folks, we are a nickel a dozen these
days mostly because of that kind of player. They have cheapened the
image of professionals and deteriorated the industry to it's current
pitiful level for professional players. These guys have all become
"ALL- STARS" and "Legends in their own Minds"

  I think that the only reason we don't have any street entertainment
here is because the city's in their wisdom years ago passed laws
against it. This got the Gypsy's and blind beggars with their
accordions and white cups off the street but it also kept other groups
 from performing too. I only know of one city (University City) in St.
Louis County that allows it. I really don't know what their criteria is
but I'm sure there are permits etc. They pride themselves on having a
diversified artsy community but the rest of the cities (@150) don't
allow it unless you are hired by a business, mall or get a merchant's
license and other permits which is very difficult. We typically don't
allow any street vendors of any kind in St. Louis city and county. So
CD sales and things like that are verboten.

  ***Yep! I hear you ?? In the city of Walnut Creek, some city
supervisors years ago in their most imminent wisdom passed an ordinance
forbidding kissing anyone in the armpit in Public and they have never
stopped passing ordinances since, we used to have to get an
entertainers permit from the County just to play live music in the
city. And while most cities do require permits, it is more so they can
collect fees than anything else, just another Tax to support their own
existence to harass the citizens and keep the likes of sex crazed, drug
addict drunken musicians in their rightful place to protect the public
 from being exposed to them at all. The only way to beat these idiots is
to go run for office and or get yourself appointed to boards and
committees etc. and yell and scream at the meetings until the dumb
asses listen to you and allow you to open some doors and stage areas.

There is no shortage of stupid well meaning folks in this world that
are often very shortsighted, most of them it seems can be found working
for Government agencies and city councils etc.   How do they GET THOSE
POSITION ??  :))  Many of them start out by volunteering and then get
into a position of power to create havoc and more often than not cause
more problems than those that they manage to fix.

  Tell them Music soothes savage beasts and such and that It is a known
fact that with "Good Happy Music in the streets" "Crime Goes Down"
since people are too busy having fun they are in more sociable moods
and get along better. :))

  All things conspire against the musician and I am most sorry to say is
self generated by the musicians themselves.

 *** Certainly NO Argument with that statement :)) Sadly

  Keep on keepin' on those of us that do always find good work. When you
keep running into those folks who "Just Say NO" slap them up beside the
head and knock some sense into them. But do it gently so they don't sue
you for assault and such.

 Cheers,

 Tom

 So, sadly, it is difficult in St. Louis to take it to the people.
 Larry
 St. Louis
 ----- Original Message ----- From: <tcashwigg at aol.com>