[Dixielandjazz] European Band not playing in America / AmericanBands not playing in America

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 16:15:14 PDT 2006

Larry Is absolutely correct folks:

Those Lads have learned the fine art of "taking it to the people"  and
do not even seek Paid gigs, and therefore are not taking any work away
 from any USA or European musicians.   They play Farmer's Markets Flea
Markets, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Barbara,
Long  Beach,  and any other Tourist Attraction they can find.
Community and City sponsored events etc.   They normally show up about
noon and play 45 minute sets until about 6:00 p.m. or so selling
merchandise to a new crowd every set.

I had two of these groups work with me for five years in California and
they both played about 200 days a year  ( note I said Days)  not clubs.
   I did their tax returns for years and they sold between $190,000.00 &
$225,000.00 a year worth of Cassettes and CDs.   Then they moved on to
Colorado, and Florida and brought tow more groups from Peru to replace
them in California,  they do the same all over Europe as well.

Yes if Dixieland Bands would do the same they would not only sell a ton
of product, but they would also get wedding gigs, and private parties
etc. that paid well too.   It's the best Advertising and promotion you
can get, and you can get local papers to write stories about you with
photos, and local Cable Tv folks to shoot video and air it on local
stations, not to mention the occasional exposure you can get form a
major Television station.

What does it cost you for all that FREE Promotion and Publicity ??
About as much time as you spend or at least should spend for a
rehearsal day, :))   Just do it in front of an audience and let them
contribute to your well being.   If nobody ever sees or hears you but
the little circle you play for things will never get any better or
bigger for your act.   But for some acts that is what they actually
want.   To each their own method of poisoning :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins