[Dixielandjazz] Blank CD's for use with Stand Alone Burners (again)

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Thu Apr 6 06:45:28 PDT 2006

With all the current quotes  on this subject now it is getting a little
confusing to tell whom I am writing this post for!  Maybe Bill Haesler
or Don or others.

First there should be no reason any of these stand alone units can not
record from a 78 or any other record providing you are using the
required MUSIC blank CD's. Also the cartridge may have a flip 78
needle.. The  biggest reason I have found for lack of satisfaction  with
these units,  is not being aware of the difference in blank CD's The
unit does not record?  Get the MUSIC  CD.  If the unit says, "data input
error", get the MUSIC CD.

That being said, and with the MUSIC  CD's being a little harder to find
in some markets now, do not despair if you own one of these stand alone
units.  Most, if not all, of the surviving major manufacturers of blank
CD's are now producing blank CD's with NO indication that they are Music
CD's, but they WILL work in the stand alone units. If you buy spindle
blanks that do NOT say Music specifically on them, it is a crap shoot.
Some work and some don't..  I have bought several 50 packs on spindles
where 95% or better of them will work on the Philips. With others, none
of them work. It depends on the quality, and if they are formatted in
advance. I have not found were it says that on the packaging.  Trial and
error, but you can get some good buys on blanks.

Try a small quantity of a brand even if it says DATA.  If they do not
work, use them on your computer where they will work for music or data..
MUSIC CD's  generally have far better quality control. No scratches and
generally ALL work. With DATA blanks, you can expect to throw away a
couple. and always check for scratches.

Bottom line. The TEAC is NOT  being sold at a discount because you may
not be able to get blanks that will work later.  On the contrary, more
and more so called computer DATA blanks will work now. No guarantee,
however.  If your Philips or other burner has a front readout that says,
"Data input error" it can mean that you have the wrong blank CD in it.
It has nothing to do with your input from the record player, cassette or
Reel to Reel!   If it will not record you can be sure you have the wrong
blank CD.

Enjoy the music. That is what you are on the DJML for. Not to be frustrated.

Lowell