FW: [Dixielandjazz] Problems for travelling musicians

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 6 07:40:26 PDT 2006

Hi all...

Well, I've found out the hard way NOT to say I'm a musician - When I got to
Canada the last time, I mentioned I was a musician, they wanted to know if
I was going to play, where, when, etc.  I FINALLY after about a 3 hour
wait, (they called all the people I knew here in Montreal) got permission
to enter Canada on a visitors visa only until May 7th...  Yeah, best NOT to
say you're a musician, but just a visitor to see some old friends....

About the embassy thing, I just renewed my US passport at the consulate
here in Montreal.  Saw a LONG line of people waiting outside in the cold to
get visas.  Fortunately, when the guard stopped me and asked if I was a US
citizen and I said yes, they let me right in!  Sort of unfair, I thought.
BUT the incredible thing was, I got my passport renewed and in my hands in
ONE week!  Try THAT in the US!!!  The lady told me they usually have them
in 3 days, but they tell everybody one week, just in case of a fowl up....

All the Best,
Steve "Now WHERE is my passport?" Heist
Pointe-des-Cascades, Quebec, Canada
(450)424-7268

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!