[Dixielandjazz] Vinyl to CD

Andy.Ling at quantel.com Andy.Ling at quantel.com
Thu Apr 6 01:31:02 PDT 2006

> For those of you who have one of these TEAC GF 350 units, I am puzzled
> by the technical description/FAQ statement that "Recording can take
> place on any CD-R/RW THAT IS NOT FOR COMPUTER USE". What's that supposed

> to mean?  I thought a CDR was a CDR.  I know there were so called blank
> "music CD's", but I thought that was a marketing gimmick.

This has been touched on a few times and Jim Kash has talked of the
difference in quality of all these CDs.

To expand a bit more. As part of the manufacturing process of CDs
there is a special identification code "burnt in". This tells the
reader/writer what type of CD it is dealing with.

When CD writing first became possible for the man in the street
the music industry started complaining (again ;-) So the audio
CD was invented. The cost of these includes some money that goes
to the music industry.

CD writers that are specifically designed for audio such as these
TEAC units, check the identification code and will refuse to write
to anything other than audio disks. The key word here is write. They
will read from anything.

So all you need is a few re-writable audio disks. Then once you
have made your recording, you can copy it to a data disk using
your computer and then erase the original and start again.

None of the above considers the quality of disks. So you need
to consider everything said by Kash and others also. But for
stuff that you are not planning on keeping for hundreds of
years, the above works just fine.

Andy Ling