[Dixielandjazz] Brass bass?>> Frank Harrison

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 06:19:28 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/28/05 9:21:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tubaman at tubatoast.com writes:

There  was one very "clever" version of a tuba that was made in a few
examples in  the 1930s - a bell front, very tall & skinny tuba held in a
rack that  could be played while standing up - the idea was t have it
next to your  string bass and be able to quickly move over to play tuba.

I have seen  one in a museum and one "in the field" - not a great idea
in the long  run...

A friend of mine Frank Harrison had one he used regularly back in the  1970s.
 Frank came from Detroit and was on the road a lot.  He is on  the Surfside 6
Album made with Wild Bill Davison from that era.  Frank came  to Rochester
with Wild Bill one time and while here, came with our band to play  at a private
party.  He brought that standup recording bell tuba and said  it had been
originally built custom order for Paul Whiteman's band.

I think I heard recently that Vince Giordano now has the horn, however, I
couldn't be sure.  Perhaps someone close to Vince could check that out,
although I never saw him use it in the Charlie_O's gig which was broadcast with
streaming video.

PS..if anyone wants that LP album, I have converted it to a CD and it can  be
had for a modest price.  Contact me offline.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers JB
"we  ain't just whistling dixie!"