[Dixielandjazz] SCHOOL GIGS & MAKING MONEY IN MUSIC & THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 20:57:32 PDT 2005

Larry Walton said I never tried to get school gigs in St Louis.

TRUE

He said they have no budget for music.

TRUE

He opines therefore that no school gigs are possible.

THAT IS AN ERRONEOUS CONCLUSION!!!!!

Let me repeat . . . CHECK YOUR PTO/PTA FOR FUNDING. Plus look to other
sources besides the Board Of Education. The possibilities are limitless. The
majority of my school gigs are funded from outside the school system. That
information has been posted on the DJML several times in the past and is in
my "how to do it" information which I gladly share free. (which is probably
why nobody reads it) Tell you what come to my seminar for $1000 and I'll
start you on the road to jazz prosperity. ;-) VBG

Also, regarding earnings:

If the jazz business had been this good in 1962, I never would have taken
that day gig, even though I had graduate and post graduate degrees after 7
years of University and a damn good job offer which I took in 1962.

In 2005, our (wife and I) entire expenses of existing will be paid out of
musical earnings from playing jazz, locally. Granted, I don't have a
mortgage these days, but school taxes, self employment taxes, food, clothing
gasoline, utilities, booze, barn, horses, horse shows, etc., comes to a
pretty good sized chunk of change. This year, our Investment income and
Social Security/Pension Income and her free lance writing income goes
directly into savings.

Typical comments I get from fellow "Dixieland" Band leaders here when I show
them a "wedding" check is: "Jesus, those people don't know what they should
really pay for a band." Check was $4200, peer leader would have booked it
for $700 had he the gumption to search gigs out and will gladly tell you
there is no Dixieland work here. (especially in schools)

And he is right, for him, there isn't. Whose fault is that?

Cheers,
Steve