[Dixielandjazz] Big Band Charts on Ebay - another answer

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 27 22:15:07 PDT 2005

Juskeepin44time at aol.com wrote:<no snip>
Would someone kindly explain to me about big band charts on  Ebay.
I assume that they are Xerox copies?
Aren't all those arrangements copyrighted?
=======================================
I have often put charts on eBay but never photocopies.
I write the charts myself.
I mail USPS and accept whatever bid I get.
The charts (not the songs) are copyrighted and published
by my company as works on a work.
Example: Sy Oliver "Swanee River" for Dorsey is copyrighted
by T.D's company Embassy Music.
No credit nor royalties to Stephen Foster.

Many of my arrangements or transcriptions
are "record copies" but not duplicates
of the originals and certainly not the stocks.

Example: Sinatra charts written for strings + other instruments
I have written for 4 trpts, 4 bones, 5 saxes, 4 rhythm + vocal.

Although based on Billy May, Nelson Riddle et al
the charts are not the same as the recording, they
just give the impression that they are.

Song writer royalties: I tried it with the Harry Fox
bunch. Not enough sales to make a difference.
The bookkeeping costs more than it's worth.

Why eBay? Easy. My name and website address are clearly marked
on every title page. Cheap advertising. Things are slow... I go to eBay.

In 1950 I would get apx $1,500.00 for one chart. I'd pay the copyist
$100.00 just to create the parts. Considering today's copy machines
and computer resources the same chart sells for apx $35.00!

Anyone receiving International Musician (A.F. of M.) publication
check the for sale classifieds. Three or four columns of "arrangements"
or libraries for sale. Yep! Xerox copies and not from arrangers.
They even have the *&^%$ to advertise "Let's Trade".

There are 4 or 5 web sites where trading of big band charts is the thing.
.pdf files are swapped.

I have often donated lead sheets to members of this list.
More than likely copyrighted material.

I also donate charts when I am in the mood. (not the Miller tune)
Just a month ago I sent Buddy Morrow a T.D. chart that he didn't have.
Written by Sy Oliver, it was never recorded. I felt this was appropriate.
Of course I sent him a "Finale" copy. Someday I might put the original
on eBay. (Sy's handwriting on T.D. score paper)

Although I made a living for many years playing piano,
when asked "what is your instrument?" I always answered "pencil".

For me, writing is what playing is to most of you, a disease.
I'd play a four or five hour gig and then jam into the wee small hours
for fun. Same with writing. Not enough hours in the day to do all I
want to do.

P.S. Computer "writing" is not easier than paper and pencil.
Writing by hand a two 1/2 chorus chart by hand perhaps 3 hours.
Using notation software - 3 days.
but
Multiple copies, no copyist fees, errors are easily corrected.

P.P.S. (off topic)
Hurricane Rita and Houston. Worst part in this neck of the woods
STARBUCKS WAS CLOSED FOR TWO DAYS!

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com