[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hindustan

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 27 16:02:41 PDT 2005

Dear Wim,
Your post reminded me that I had promised Sheik and the DJML that I would
follow this through.
Which I did, but never get around to forwarding the results.
You too have identified the same original recorded sources that I have.
*Dan and Harvey's Jazz Band. Late April 1919
*Savoy Quartet. 29 May 1919
*Ben Bernie and His Orch. 28 July 1928
*Bob Crosby and his Bob Cats. 6 Feb 1939
[I have these, apart from the Savoy Quartet]
By the time Condon and DeParis were playing it, "Hindustan" was an old
standard for Australian jazz bands. And elsewhere.
I believe that this was because of the Bob Crosby Bob Cats 'jazz' version.
It was released here in Oz on Decca in Jan 1942 and became an instant
favourite with our jazz enthusiasts.
It, very probably, was also the one which influenced the US, British and
European 'jazz revival' bands.
Kind regards,
Bill.