[Dixielandjazz] re: OKOM bands on TV 50s & 60s

Daniel Gaultney dgandmg2 at rose.net
Mon Sep 26 13:47:28 PDT 2005

Ray Anthony had more than one show in the 50s & perhaps the early 60s. A couple are available as DVDs on his bigbandcdstore website. Also listed is a Stan Kenton performance DVD & a few others I can't recall right now..

Also Harry James, Basie, Ellington & others were on Ed Sullivan a few times. In fact I remember, mid-70s (?), at the end of a "Gong Show" Harry James & band showed up playing "Two O'Clock Jump."

In the mid-eighties I recall seeing some VHS tapes featuring TV appearances by Tex Beneke w/ Ray Eberle & the Modernaires, Les Brown & a few others, memory failing. I still kick myself for not buying them all, but then, at the time funds were scarce & the tapes were expensive for the time. This being when blank VHS tapes cost as much or more than pre-recorded movies do now.

Dan Gaultney
Thomasville, GA