[Dixielandjazz] PBS Concert and New Orleans music

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 21:47:05 PDT 2005

Well, I have to agree with my friend, Steve Barbone on this one!
Part of the problem as I see it, is the OKOM fans are the biggest "tunnel
vision" fans in all of music.  I have a lot of disagreements with things  that
Wynton Marsallis has done, but to say he can't swing is preposterous.   And why
should a group of musicians who haven't played together before,  performing
"impromtu," sound as "tight" as a group that plays together  all the time? And
I WILL tell you this. Even though they are friends,  I have heard Titan Hot 7,
when they are trying to be cutsey and funny, also  NOT swing.
You are also right, that the hurricane relief Concert was NOT- I repeat NOT
just about  OKOM!
Anybody who doesn't realize that blues, rock, zydeco, funk, and many other
forms of music also had roots in New Orleans, doesn't know anything about New
Orleans music.
The person asked about where were all kinds of dixieland musicians for that
concert??????
SIMPLE - they weren't in New York City.....................
I must quote Steve here:
"I certainly agree that you have every right to hear what you hear.  However
respectfully disagree with what you hear as "it DIDN'T swing. I'll  not doubt
get blasted for this, but the reason I do not attend more OKOM  festivals is
that most of the bands that play at them, neither swing nor know  how to
improvise coherently. They do copy, albeit poorly and without the fire  of
the originals."
How true you are, Steve.  There is way more copying than originality  at most
OKOM festivals.
Now, I do enjoy a lot of those bands, BUT-----------------
Here is something I hope that you OKOM people will think about:
The musicians who were playing OKOM in the beginning, were "AVANT GARDE"
musicians for their time.  They were treading new ground all the time, and
creating as they went.  They were just as much innovators as any bebop  musicians
were 50 years later.  They didn't play the same solo every  night.  Much of
what they played was learned by ear and then changed to  suit the situation.
They were the forefathers of EVERY kind of jazz that  has happened since.  If
they were alive today they wouldn't be playing  exactly what they played on a
record in 1928.  That is one of my biggest  frustrations with many audiences,
they can't stand it when someone takes an old  standard trad jazz tune and does
something new with it.  I have known  for
 years,that my bands are not as popular on the trad jazz festival  circuit,
because my idea of jazz is that it ISN'T a museum piece.  I like  to do new
things with great old tunes.
Well, off my soapbox now!
Thanks for listening.  Now slam away........................
Mike Vax