[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Sep 20 01:24:58 PDT 2005

I like  to do new things with great old tunes.
Mike Vax

Exactly why we are no longer a 6 man (3 rhythm 3 horn) band.  When our sop
sax left it freed us from that mold, and we are quite happy (thank you very
much!) using the trombone & trumpet as a front line.  Third harmonies, when
necessary, are covered by the piano (normally a keyboard), which we have at
a volume much higher than would normally be heard in a 6 man band.
Creates an altogether different sound.

Probably 70% of our rep is Dixieland, but we are giving it a different
flavor.  That's why I'm so glad we didn't adopt the word "Dixieland" into
our name 38 yrs ago.  It might have fit us back then, but it certainly
wouldn't now.  I prefer the stress be put on "Jazz", period.

On a 7 night (two 45 min sets each nite), we can get by without repeating a
single tune, or resorting to fake books or chords.  Granted, the odd
favorite will be repeated if asked for, or is the right tune for the moment.
However, we try to "keep on the ball" with fresh things & fresh ideas.
That's what makes it Jazz.....the surprise magic.

Jim