[Dixielandjazz] I'm getting sick of having to tell you that another fineplayer has died

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Sat Sep 17 20:56:53 PDT 2005

For the second time in two weeks, it's my sad duty to let jazz lovers
know that another friend and marvelous musician has died.
.
This time it's Eddie Stapleton, a Chicago-area origins piano and bass
player.

Eddie was during the peak years, when overdubbed multi part music became
possible with the advent of the Ampex tape recorder, the bassist for Les
Paul and Mary Ford. He played with Benny Goodman in New York. In
Florida, he mostly worked as a piano single in  high priced watering
holes around Boca Raton , but also worked with bassist Ray Carle and
drummer Jimmy Burney in  my River Liffey Saloon Jazz Band  for year. As
would be expected of a man who had the bass job, his knowledge and
choices of chords as a piano man were terrific and he swung.

But the most important thing about Eddie was that he was a helluva nice
guy, a warm, generous, funny and  caring person who always say and
brought out the best in people.

In May, Eddie worked a one nighter with my Roaring Tusker Jazz Band. He
was wearing a large, flesh covered bandage on his forehead, having
recently had surgery for a cancer that had earlier afflicted his nose.
He assured me that "they got it all" and that he was fine. They lied.
Pianist Dave Williams, who broke the news to me when I called him about
Harry Epp, said that the cancer appeared to have spread to his brain and
that it killed him in a few weeks.

I have no more details on arrangements at this time, but will publish
them as soon as I have word.

Eddie was a good pal, and I'm going to miss him, as will South Florida
music and who were privileged to play with him at meetings of the Hot
Jazz and Alligator Gumbo Society, in which he was an early and active
member.

With huge regrets, I am

Kindly,
Will Connelly