[Dixielandjazz] Second Line

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Sep 16 14:46:39 PDT 2005

Did you ever notice in a political speech and a lot of newspaper
articles - if they get to some topic you know something about they
usually get it wrong on some particular detail(s)? The president seemed
to say that the band was the 2nd line or that the band did the 2nd line
- wrong!  The band does play the songs that the 2nd lines dance to.

Anyway, here is a pretty concise definition of the topic: (from
<http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?
destination=new_orleans at 110&cur_section=fea&feature=30009> )
-------------------------
The second line is a type of parade historically associated with jazz
funerals; the term "second line" is often thought originally to have
referred to the secondary group of participants in such a parade,
behind the band and the family. "Second line" is also used to refer to
the distinctive dance moves that can be glimpsed during New Orleans
street parades of all sorts.

During the early 20th century, the New Orleans second line served an
important community function. At that time, African-Americans were not
allowed to buy insurance, so they formed mutual aid societies -- called
Social Aide and Pleasure Clubs -- to help members through tough times.
When a member's house burned down, or when someone died and their
family lacked the funds for a proper funeral, the club would step in to
help. Live bands and second-lining become integral parts of the
fund-raising efforts. Combined with the city's long-standing penchant
for a parade, these activities led to the current "second line"
brass-band parade tradition.

Though the second-line tradition waned during the mid-20th century,
today it is back with a vengeance. In addition to Zulu's Mardi Gras
morning bonanza down St. Charles Avenue, a brass-band-led "second-line"
can be found each Sunday from October to March in an inner city
neighborhood of New Orleans.
Dave Richoux