[Dixielandjazz] Second Line

JimSox at aol.com JimSox at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 13:57:46 PDT 2005

     When the president in his speech last night, in describing a New Orleans
jazz funeral, said that after the casket is laid in place, the band breaks
into a joyful second line, what exactly did he mean?
     I've never personally witnessed a New Orleans jazz funeral, so maybe
some of you who have can answer the question.   Does the band form a kind of
flying wedge and go running full speed to break into the joyful second line?   And
why don't the people in the second line, if they're so darned joyful, just
let the band members in without forcing them to break in?   Is there violence
involved?
     I'm sure someone will be able to explain it to me, so thanks in advance
for your help.

Jim Branson
Berkeley, Calif.