[Dixielandjazz] Second Line

Coastsidegiraffe at aol.com Coastsidegiraffe at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 14:28:41 PDT 2005

Jim Branson posts:
     " When the president in his speech last night, in describing a New
Orleans
jazz funeral, said that after the casket is laid in place, the band breaks
into a joyful second line, what exactly did he mean?
     I've never personally witnessed a New Orleans jazz funeral, so maybe
some of you who have can answer the question.   Does the band form a kind of
flying wedge and go running full speed to break into the joyful second
line?   And
why don't the people in the second line, if they're so darned joyful, just
let the band members in without forcing them to break in?   Is there violence
involved?"

Jim, not being a musician, but a lurker, I don't have your answer, but I'm
sure many will and will post their responses.   BUT, if you're going to the
Berkeley Jazz School   Katrina hurricane benefit
 tomorrow, please wear a big name tag identifying yourself so we'll know who
you are... - you have a terrific sense of humor!!

Karen
Pacifica, CA