[Dixielandjazz] Survivors/New Orleans Musicians

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 09:10:32 PDT 2005

To all DJML's

This terrible tragedy affecting New Orleans and the Gulf is indeed a
major loss and a shock to the world.   However let us ALL not sit idly
by and just watch it.   There has never been a Better opportunity for
us to go out and generate interest, publicity and paying gigs for OKOM.

I urge every band on this list to get out and volunteer to play at any
and all LEGITIMATE  fundraising situations you can find, and don't sit
by the phone waiting to be called, get out there and make a performance
situation happen, at a church, a bar, a restaurant, wine and arts
event, street fair, farmers market, car dealership sale, shopping
center, ANY PLACE there are lots of people on any given day.   Organize
yourselves, have business cards ready for booking paying gigs from it,
not only are you helping to raise much needed money for victims that
will need it for a long time, but you are promoting OKOM and your own
band.   Set up a collection jar at every gig you already have booked,
Connect with your local Red Cross, chapter or other relief organization
that has agreed to assist.   Contact your local newspapers and radio
stations TV stations, they are all willing to help right now while the
world is watching.   What better opportunity could you possibly ask for
to promote and Preserve OKOM, this unfortunate event is getting more
world wide publicity and attention for New Orleans and the musical
history than the Ken Burns Series did for a year.

Opportunity knocks everyday  somebody go answer the door.   Just by
answering the door we can help many of our fellow musicians, many who
are not so well known or financially able to have gotten out of New
Orleans and Mississippi and have been wiped out of the future of New
Orleans music.   Many of our favorites have gotten out because they
were on tour, or had the wherewithall and the means to get out,  some
of them have insurance that will possibly replace many things, but
there are many others who do not and have nothing left but the clothes
on their back, and a new Blues song burning in their hearts.

The musicians we can help today and next week and next month and next
year just may be the next Louis Armstrong, or Buddy Bolden or Sydney
Bichet, Jack Teagarden, but without help we or our grandkids may never
hear of them.

So let's get motivated and get out there and play some OKOM and get all
the jazz oblivious folks turned on to this music again, "If you PLAY
They will COME"    So Get up off the couch and Go out and PLAY AS LOUD
AS YOU CAN.

Anybody can give money,  We can give MUSIC to make many give money.
That is why every benefit cause in the world calls on us,  This time
make a difference Go play benefits to benefit Musicians.  But if we
don't organize them who is going to do so ?

We have already posted several organizations information on the list
that are specifically geared to help musicians, insist upon using them
if possible, but do not turn down opportunities to perform functions
for other legitimate organizations either, but do beware there will be
no shortage of scams as well.    These tragic situations bring out the
Best and the Worst in mankind, keep your eyes and ears open.

And yes it is OK to take out your expenses for doing it, nobody is
going to fill your Gas tank for free, remember event he RED Cross,
United Way and all the other organizations are paying their expenses,
so while you may be donating your performance time, you are also
promoting and advertising your band, booking other paid gigs from it,
Selling CDs, T-Shirts, and raising money to keep promoting more events
to raise more money.   You can play a gig every day or night, two or
three in a day if you get motivated.    You will never have a better
Media opportunity than right now to promote OKOM and your band.   If
you play for a legitimate organization for Free, ASK for a receipt for
your donation of time based upon your legitimate performance fees for
in-kind contributions, and yes it will be tax deductible, and any tax
man who tells you it is not make him prove it, stand up and fight for
it you will win especially if you have the receipt, for it.

Good luck to you all.

Tom Wiggins