[Dixielandjazz] The Gulf

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Fri Sep 2 22:21:42 PDT 2005

The pictures we are seeing on British TV say it all, here is this mass of
impoverished people seemingly abandoned by the authorities, engulfed by a
tragedy of cataclysmic proportions. The little that they once owned has
gone, quite understandably some turn to looting in order to survive only to
be met by gun-toting police who, I presume, prefer to let the looted goods
rot.

For me the most telling aspect of the awful scene is that the all the
thousands of victims are black, I did not see one white face among them.
>From that I inferred that they were from the poorer end of the local social
strata.

If Mr. Bush has no trouble in finding the huge amount of money necessary to
fund his foreign adventures why does he not do the same for his own people?
The cost of a dozen cruise missiles should cover it.

John Farrell