[Dixielandjazz] RE: Charlie Hooks RIP

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Fri Sep 2 00:20:36 PDT 2005

I am sad and shocked to hear about Charlie's death. He was at our second
Festival in 1993 and we have met a few times after his visit in Hungary.
I even stayed with him and his wonderful wife, Lornetta many years ago
in Chicago. The last time we met personally was 6 years ago when he was
playing his regular weekly gig in Heaven on Seven. Nice, very
intelligent human being with a great sense of humor and an incredible
knowledge of English - as probably you all noticed even from his DJML
postings. I feel very fortunate to have known him and I feel very
unfortunate to have lost him. Even though geographically we have been
apart pretty much, I always felt that we had something in common and
probably he felt the same thus we could continue discussions as if no
years had passed without a word. I was very happy to see him on the list
and that we were able to communicate more often (not often enough,
though) through E-mail. Now, being only 38, I probably have to wait for
a few more decades until I can chat with Charlie again. Great friend,
great musician.

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com