[Dixielandjazz] Vale Charlie Hooks

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 2 00:23:17 PDT 2005

Dear friends,
New Orleans - and now Charlie Hooks.
Like many of you, I met Charlie on the DJML and corresponded with him
frequently off list.
I felt that he was a dear man and capable of deep friendship.
Those who knew him personally will, I have no doubt, confirm this.
Recently on the the DJML we discussed a Spike Jones LP, which Charlie was
keen to re-hear.
I was pleased to be able to send him a copy, and added some rarer material.
He was chuffed.
For me it was my pleasure to make an old man happy. (Charlie is a few months
older than me!)
Bill Gunter said that "we're all reaching that point in life where our dear
friends begin falling away....."
He's right and, unfortunately, there will be more in the next few years.
But we will always remember each of them for what they did, and the
friendship they gave.
I'll miss you Charlie old mate.
Very sad but kind regards,
Bill.