[Dixielandjazz] Ana vs. digi?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 1 04:49:35 PDT 2005

Discussing analogue recordings vs. digital is a discussion that will never
end, as it includes personal tastes.

As stated before, I am quite involved in the digital world of recording, and
have had a high end (read Neve) digital console in my
studio since 1992.  The studio is designed for mastering using ATC 100A
speakers with a range of 12 to 20,000 hz.  I can hear everything & anything
as the room is designed so there is little (or no) cancellation of
frequencies at least at the listening hot spot at the center of the console.
Take a look at the room at www.kashprod.com (click on the English flag).

Give me digital, which at least at this moment in Madrid, is warm....as the
temperature of this country is at the top of the scale!  :>

What some people call "warm" can also be described as noise.  This noise may
be pleasant to some, but when heard in a proper environment you will just
hear it as noise.

As someone else pointed out, and as I once pointed out at a seminar on
audio, if you need to manipulate the sound (that is move it around, edit it,
etc.), then get it into the digital domain.  There is no comparison as to
what can be done then.

There is a fad, particularly in the U.S. to "go back", but all these guys
rushing out to buy used Neve consoles from the 1970's are suffering from
noisy, old equipment now.

Jim (warm, in Madrid) Kash