[Dixielandjazz] Load of bull

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Oct 30 05:04:12 PST 2005

I wrote:
I was playing in the band, before anyone from the U.K. hits at me for
attending bullfights!     :>

And, (U.K.) Pat wrote:
Hi Kash, Once the jump is made to the fact that it is a  ritual killing and
some effort is made to appreciate the  basic moves it, like ballet, makes
sense, and is usually more interesting.

I like your subject title, Pat!   :>

For the first 3 yrs I spent in Spain, I played at least 300 bullfights.  I
absolutely love the music (España Cañi, El Gato Montes, etc.).  They are
mostly marches, with great dynamics (quiet bits & loud bits).  They are
generally played considerably slower than, say, a Sousa March. I can still
play a lot of the Sousa marches from my 8 yrs as an Air Force Bandsman, and
my 12 yrs before that in the Long Beach Jr. Concert/Marching Band, and
elementary/jr. high/sr. high school bands. Actually miss playing the
marches!

I never got to really enjoy the fights, but did appreciate the moves and the
obvious danger.  It has to be respected as being "someone else's" culture.
Probably some folks see a jazz band and think it's cruel to be shoving a
piece of metal into your face for so many hours!  And, watch how the drummer
beats up those skins...the look on his face!   :>

Jim (see subject title) Kash