[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tempos - more...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Oct 23 03:22:28 PDT 2005

Bill wrote:
Our band often varies tempos for the same tune.

I'm with you on that one, Bill.  I must admit there are a few tunes that
just never seem to click unless they are in the "magic area" they seem to be
meant in.  But, most tunes can be taken at all kinds of tempos.  Try Jada as
a very slow, laid back...I'm mean like you're going to fall over
backwards!...tempo.  Great fun.  Gets it away from its sorta normal, comical
feel.

Someone else said:
As jazz listeners, we have to throw away our preconceived notion that there
is only one tempo which is proper and to listen to listen with open ears.

Agreed.  Plus, variety is supposed to be the spice, etc. And, if a band
plays a lot, changing the normal key or tempo of a song can be great fun for
everyone, and keeps you on your toes.

I once heard a story about Turk Murphy counting off a tune, and hollering
out the new key during the countoff, just to keep people alert.  Don't know
if it is true, but it's a good story.  I sometimes do a half chorus or 4 bar
intro into a tune in a different key just to see if anyone in the band will
catch on.  Sometimes they don't, and it accounts for an interesting (&
fast!) key change!   :>

Jim