[Dixielandjazz] Eric's tempo

Richard Stevens thejazzfactory at ozemail.com.au
Sat Oct 22 14:34:12 PDT 2005

Hi All,

Here's my take on the tempo debate. I have played with Eric in an authentic
"Watters" style band. Eric's tempo provides the POWER that drives the sound.
That's what makes it so exciting when played by a two trumpet, 8 piece band.

Most of Australia's best trumpet players including Eric worked in the Tom
Baker band over the years. There must have been a real jostle to get in the
front of that band. I only heard the band once but have most of the
recordings. Everywhere they played the band brought the house down. I never
thought about the tempo until it was brought up here but I had another
listen and that's the way to play it.

Incidentally if you try to play the songs with a five piece band or
something with a saxophone or an electric piano in it, it doesn't sound the
same or even similar so you may as well play it fast as well!

regards,
Richard Stevens
www.thejazzfactory.net