[Dixielandjazz] Tempos - more...

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Oct 22 13:36:07 PDT 2005

Hi Eric: & All:

  I did not mean to not post my reply to Eric to the list, I just hit
the wrong reply button trying to avoid sending it twice like my friend
Larry does , I also tried to not include all the text of Eric's post in
my reply, however there seems to be some problem with my system not
letting me cut and past only the selections I want to respond to,
copies the entire post anyway when I hit reply.
 Sorry about that, trying to figure out a way around it.

  I would say that "FIRE" tends to mean fast and loud to crank on the
dancers and the Party animals, those who wish to hear it slow and at
lower volume can feel free to take the seats in the back of the venue
and the time delay might slow it down a wee bit :)) Just kidding a bit.
Eric.

  As to Turk & Lu's slower style and it's effect on audiences in their
waning years, which by the way,( were many people of my generation's
fire in the belly going out to party and dance and drink and raise Hell
and chase pretty women nights) pretty much a turn off for us at that
point in life except for those younger guys looking for OLDER women. At
that particular time in life we simply found them and their music
BORING. Personally I still find some of it Boring the way they played
it. But that is just my personal opinion about it.

  The part about you knew about the folks leaving the city for the
boonies, might have been known by you bbut not by everyone else on the
list but I can see how you may have mistook my statement a bit since I
accidentally only replied to your post offlist.

  And you are absolutley corect about some of the West Coast
Practitioners having NO SOUL, they often sound like Classical musicians
trying to play it without any charts in front of them. Too Cut and Dry
and not much sponteneity which translates to us younger folks as
Boring. The French coined a phrase " Those Jazz People Love to be
Bored" many of them do, but perhaps in all fairness it is not boring to
them, "to each his own".

 You can here some samples of how my band plays OKOM at my website:

 http://www.sonicbids.com/StGabrielscelestialbrassband

  Or maybe Bill Haesler will part with his no doubt "treasured" copies
of two of our CDs since I am sure my style is not Bill's favorite, or I
also think Anton Crouch, and Sam Meerkin and Ross Anderson have copies.
We have also enjoyed substantial radio play down under in the past
eight months or so on several radio shows.

 Cheers,

 Tom Wiggins
 )