[Dixielandjazz] Wonder what is wrong with music in Schools to day ?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Oct 21 09:17:29 PDT 2005

In some defense of that music teacher.  I went to a College that is now
a major university but they didn't have any jazz at all.  Another
student introduced me to the mysteries of Chord symbols for example.
They tried to dissuade me from playing in the dives across the river
because it would spoil my appreciation of music and ruin my Oboe chops.
I also had no training in jazz except I was playing it.  The school I
went to did nothing to help me with the understanding or playing of
jazz.  They were totally against it.

Things haven't really changed much except there are pseudo jazz courses
in some music schools today and in almost every music program.  Those
classes are for the most part taught by people who cannot play jazz.
the reason for this is that most jazzers don't have degrees stacked up
high enough to teach at the college level.  What you end up with is guys
that are highly trained in the intellectual pursuit of music but are
short on the hands on part.  We have a university (I don't use that word
though) here in town that has the highest number of students who can't
pass basic reading.  Their teachers came from the same schools and their
students (graduates) will go out and teach more kids who won't be able
read who will in turn become students and professors of that school.
DUH! what's wrong with this picture.

Rather than make fun of that person (may be deserved) It would be better
to try to explain Jazz and Blues so that person might be better educated
then to teach our kids.  It may not be entirely his fault but the school
that he went to.

Since I teach still on a part time basis I run into these guys fairly
often in the teaching field.  Most are good intentioned and are trying
to do a good job.  If you know something that they don't and they will
listen then teach them.  Unfortunately some of them are know it all
jerks too.