[Dixielandjazz] An Al and Maynard story

Robert Pulliam starwaterlogo at mpinet.net
Sun Oct 16 21:11:16 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Livingston" <snargi01 at yahoo.com>

> Maynard is one of the most influential Jazz/Big Band
> trumpet players ever but I never see him listed in
> Jazz history books except as a side note for being a
> high note freak.

A lot of jazz cognoscenti apparently don't see Maynard as a "real" jazzer.
>From his earliest days in the public eye he's had his detractors. I'm a huge
Maynard fan so I feel I can be honest and say I understand why. I've heard a
couple of his early Charlie Barnett cuts from his late teens, his licks were
more enthusiastic than really skilled as improv.

His jazz playing matured over the years and if you listen to a large enough
sampling of his playing he did eventually evolve into a passable improviser,
but his big thing was that stunning upper register. The 50's through
early/mid 60's were probably his peak years though he made some dynamite
recordings in the 70's (and some ultra schlocky one's as well).

I recall seeing him on some jazz special, and his band played "Maria", which
was one of his big features at the time. They played an extended version of
it and at the end he played this cadenza that culminated in a double C
which he picked out of the air after this long dramatic pause, leaving lots
of opportunity for a huge clam, but he nailed it and it was as big as a
house - even though he was "past his prime" by this point, that performance
would have done anyone proud.

However, you would think he would deserve jazz kudos even just as a
bandleader, as he's had a river of phenomenal talent pass through his band.
And last I heard, he never threatened to beat any of them up like a certain
drummer/bandleader renowned for his apoplectic tantrums.