[Dixielandjazz] An Al and Maynard story

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 08:20:10 PDT 2005

--- Robert Pulliam <starwaterlogo at mpinet.net> wrote:

> Maynard in particular, has a somewhat odd
> embouchure. I don't think I've
> ever seen someone with an embouchure quite like his.
> He's struggling these
> days, but in his youth he was truly a wonder.

I went to a workshop Maynard put on before one of his
concerts in Modesto. He said he had to change his
embouchure because a dancer backed into him while he
was playing and mashed his lip with his own horn. As
for his struggling; At age 76-77 he can still rip out
a pretty good double-C. He does let his lead guy play
most of the extreme range now especially in the latter
part of a concert.

Maynard is one of the most influential Jazz/Big Band
trumpet players ever but I never see him listed in
Jazz history books except as a side note for being a
high note freak.

Cheers,

Dave Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo Radio