FW: [Dixielandjazz] attendance

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Oct 16 10:42:39 PDT 2005

Ivor wrote:

We played in an 'upmarket' Jazz and Blues Bar,  5 euros to get in and
outrageous prices for drinks. We finished at 1.30 and when we left there had
to be 100/150 young people right outside. They told us that they could hear
the music through the door and would have loved to come in, but it was out
of their range pricewise.

& I continue........
Theres another Jazz club two blocks up from the joint we were last nite.
Cover charge is 12 Euros!  We play there about twice a year for 7 night
gigs. Both joints have glass windows looking into the club & stage from the
street.  One is jam packed, one is half empty.  Same band, same street!  One
feels like a church with hushed, reverent listening.  One is hot & loud.
Guess which one I prefer!

Before we go on, and during the break, the recorded music (jazz...not Our
Kind, and blues) is loud.  The crowd is even louder.  To get their
attention, I say, very loudly in the mike, "Buenas Noches, bienvenido,
etc.".  I purposely announce the gig as "a concert at the Populart Jazz
Club", thereby assigning this "classiness" to the gig.  It seems to work.
I introduce the band & our first number.  By then I've got most people's
attention and we get on with the gig.

Before I started that, it was sometimes hard to hear the band over the roar!
I finally decided I would have to take charge...that it was my
responsibility to get their attention.
There are certain problems when dealing with a large, young, happy crowd.

Jim