[Dixielandjazz] Schools have no money for Music????

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 19:34:12 PDT 2005

Just an example folks of the kinds of hidden programs that are lurking
in the school systems around the country at least in the USA.

Many band leaders proclaim that the schools have no money, yes they do
especially in California where 80% of our property taxes go to the
schools.   The administrations are Politicians folks and you have to
get up early and look for these special pots of money.  They are there,
  you may have to become creative and come up with some fancy new
fangdangled description of your musical therapy or ultra educational
stimuli etc.,  but the money is there.

This VOLUNTEER program sure beats flippin' Burgers and pays better than
many folks regular jobs.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Get Paid to Volunteer!!!!!!!! (san jose downtown)

Reply to: vruiz at cityyear.org
Date: 2005-10-11, 1:50PM PDT

Ever wish you could volunteer your time and get paid at the same time?
Well now you can. City Year San Jose is a ten month program for 17-24
year olds looking to give back to their communities. This program is
full time M-F from 8-5:30 starting in September and ending in June.
During the program you will serve as a teacher's aid, mentor and role
model in either an elementary school or middle school in San Jose. City
Year volunteers also run after school programs and tutor children both
individually and in group settings. The benefits of the program
include:

. $230 weekly stipend
. Free monthly VTA passes
. Health insurance
. Child care
. Loan forbearance
. $4,725 education award when you complete the program
. Weekly leadership development workshops
. Opportunity to give back to your community

We will be having an Open House Tuesday November 15th from 6:30-7:30pm
located at our headquarters. 116 Paseo de San Antonio, San Jose, CA
95112. Stop by learn more about the program, pick up an application and
meet corps members who are currently volunteering.

The program stars September 2006 but the early admissions deadline is
November 30th. Do not miss this opportunity to give something back to
San José. For more information, please call me at 408-907-6539. You can
also e-mail me as well.