[Dixielandjazz] Sibellius or Finale or Encore?

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Oct 11 07:22:21 PDT 2005

I have been using Encore for years, mainly for creating piano scores, midi
files and piano rolls which it does admirably well. In common with other
sophisticated notation programs the learning curve was a very steep one but
once I had mastered all the techniques I required and built up some speed
using it became second nature to me.

Granted it has a few minor annoyances, for instance the 8va dotted line is
sometimes a little unstable and unorthodox triplets can be tricky to notate,
but I have always found a satisfactory workaround to these problems.

A number of people have suggested that I switch to Finale or Sibelius which
they claim is superior to Encore. That might be so, however as Encore works
for me why embark on yet another lengthy, frustrating learning experience in
order to do something which I can already achieve?

John Farrell